Anderson Hall Rededicated
Anderson Hall opened in 1913 as Language Hall and was home to the humanities departments. It also served as the main UF administration building until Tigert Hall was completed in 1950. The building's name was changed to Anderson Hall in 1949 to honor James Nesbitt Anderson, who was also a Professor of Greek and Latin and the first Dean of the Graduate School at UF.
The building is home to many significant moments in UF's history. In 1938, Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings, the Pulitzer Prize-winning author of The Yearling, taught a creative writing course on the second floor of Language Hall. The Independent Florida Alligator had its first editorial office in the basement, and Florida Blue Key was also organized here.
Today, Anderson Hall houses the administrative and faculty offices of the Departments of Religion and Political Science. Eight general-purpose classrooms in the renovated building are utilized daily by more than 3,000 students studying the humanities, the social and behavioral sciences, business and education.
--Allyson A. Beutke